Solving Systems of Equations
IN THIS UNIT STUDENTS WILL BE EXPECTED TO:
• Understand the solution to a system of equations is the point of intersection when the equations are graphed;
• Understand the solution to a system of equations contains the values that satisfy both equations;
• Find the solution to a system of equations algebraically;
• Estimate the solution for a system of equations by graphing;
• Understand that parallel lines have will have the same slope but never intersect; therefore, have no solution;
• Understand the two lines that are co-linear share all of the same points; therefore, they have infinitely many solutions; and
• Apply knowledge of systems of equations to real-world situations.
CONCEPTS/SKILLS TO MAINTAIN
It is expected that students will have prior knowledge/experience related to the concepts and skills identified below. It may be necessary to pre-assess in order to determine if time needs to be spent on conceptual activities that help students develop a deeper understanding of these ideas.
•Identify and calculate slope
•Create graphs given data
•Make predictions given a graph
IDEAS TO CONSIDER WHEN TEACHING THIS UNIT
THE GEORGIA VIRTUAL SCHOOL LEARNING MODULE FOR THIS UNIT IS LOCATED BELOW. CLICK THE LEARN BUTTON BELOW TO BEGIN!